Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury
Prime Minister 1886 1892
- 17 March British steamship SS Utopia sinks at Gibraltar
after collision with the HMS Anson, killing 564.
- 01 April The LondonParis telephone system opened to the
- 05 April United Kingdom Census.
- 01 June Trial instigated by Sir William
Gordon-Cumming's law suit begins, high point of Royal baccarat
- 25 June the character of Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan
Doyle) appears in the Strand Magazine for the first time.
- 30 July The Springboks rugby union team play first
international test match against the British Lions and win by
- 14 September The first penalty kick is awarded in a
football match; John Heath scores for Wolverhampton Wanderers.
- 22 December Asteroid 323 Brucia becomes the first asteroid
discovered using photography.
- February The driest month on record up to this date.
- March (0912) The Great Blizzard of 1891 in the south and
west of England.
- April - Flu epidemic starts, eventually spreading to
- May Mirza Ghulam Ahmad claims to be the Promised Messiah
and the Mahdi awaited in Islam.
- October Gladstone launches his Newcastle Programme.
- Unknown The Clarion, founded by Robert Blatchford
and Alexander M. Thompson, publishes its first issue.
- Unknown New Scotland Yard becomes the HQ of the London
- Unknown Tobacco Protest in Iran.
- Unknown Nikola Tesla invents the Tesla coil.
- Thomas Hardy, Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
- William Morris, News from Nowhere.
- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray.
- 'We have had two parties in the past, the can'ts and the
won'ts, and it is time we had a party that will' Charlie Glyde